Compensation at startups is broken. Almost 80% of employee equity is abandoned, meaning startup employees (about 6 million in the U.S.) are missing out on hundreds of billions of dollars. That’s money they earned that could be changing their lives — enabling them to pay off student loans, buy their first home, or start a family. But that’s not what’s happening. We’re here to fix that.
Why do employees abandon their equity? Two main reasons. First, they don’t really understand what it is and how it works. Second, most employees receive stock options, which need to be “exercised” to purchase real equity (shares); but exercising costs money and has tax consequences, both of which can add up to tens of thousands of dollars or more. Most people don’t have that kind of money sitting around to invest into a startup. So, they never exercise their stock options, and they lose them. The company and its investors benefit, because that equity goes back into the company, while the employees lose out.
Enter Vested. From the moment an employee is considering a job offer, we’re there for them, providing tools they can use to truly understand their offer and determine whether it’s fair. As time goes on, we’re also there for them at key milestones, including when they may need funding to exercise options, or if they want to sell shares. We connect them with the capital they need.
We’re fully aligned with the employee, not the company. And that’s not just something we say — as a registered investment advisor, it’s our fiduciary duty.
ABOUT THE ROLE
As a Senior Software Engineer at Vested, you will help define and deliver world-class experiences that delight our customers (and help make them wealthy along the way). You are someone who is motivated to deliver results, able to simplify complex concepts, and is passionate about quality. You will have influence over how and what we build as we scale to service startup employees across the country. You are excited to build, ship and iterate on the software you create.
AT VESTED, YOU WILL HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY TO
- Build delightful user experiences to help employees understand some of their largest assets.
- Ideate, define, and implement features across the entire stack.
- Ship whenever you’re ready - multiple times per day.
- Help grow and shape our inclusive, friendly, egoless engineering culture.
- Collaborate closely with design, growth, and product teams to test and iterate on new features.
- Write entire features from the front end code to the backend code and the database migrations. Then ship them.
- 5+ years of experience in building full-stack, secure web applications (Ruby on Rails is preferred but NodeJS, Python, etc are acceptable)
- Experience with test-driven development.
- Experience shipping and maintaining production servers using a PaaS such as Heroku.
- Experience with cloud service providers (AWS)
- Experience with agile teams
- Proficient with SQL (PostgreSQL preferred)