We’re on a mission to empower employees.
Compensation at startups is broken. Almost 80% of employee equity is abandoned, meaning startup employees (about 6 million in the U.S.) are missing out on hundreds of billions of dollars. That’s money they earned that could be changing their lives — enabling them to pay off student loans, buy their first home, or start a family. But that’s not what’s happening. We’re here to fix that.
Why do employees abandon their equity? Two main reasons. First, they don’t really understand what it is and how it works. Second, most employees receive stock options, which need to be “exercised” to purchase real equity (shares); but exercising costs money and has tax consequences, both of which can add up to tens of thousands of dollars or more. Most people don’t have that kind of money sitting around to invest into a startup. So, they never exercise their stock options, and they lose them. The company and its investors benefit, because that equity goes back into the company, while the employees lose out.
Enter Vested. From the moment an employee is considering a job offer, we’re there for them, providing tools they can use to truly understand their offer and determine whether it’s fair. As time goes on, we’re also there for them at key milestones, including when they may need funding to exercise options, or if they want to sell shares. We connect them with the capital they need.
We’re fully aligned with the employee, not the company. And that’s not just something we say — as a registered investment advisor, it’s our fiduciary duty.
ABOUT THE ROLE
This is a key senior position at Vested. You’ll play a central role in the success of the company.
Your mission will be to make sure every startup employee in the country knows about and uses Vested to understand and get paid for their equity. To achieve this, you’ll build the entire growth organ of the business and run it all, from setting strategy, through building and managing a team, to executing.
More specifically, you will:
- Develop a multi-channel growth strategy
- Build a team
- Manage the team, but get your hands dirty executing as well
- Measure everything
- Know the numbers like the back of your hand
- Make data-driven decisions
- Present performance metrics to the company
- Set goals
- Set budgets
- Grow, grow, grow the business
You should have:
- Directly deployed at least $10M of ad spend across at least 4 channels
- Experience at an early stage, high growth, venture-backed startup through multiple rounds of financing
- Deep familiarity with:
- Affiliate and other partnerships
- Landing pages
- Signup flows
- Drip campaigns
- Copywriting ability
- Experience working with designers and developers
- Some management experience a plus
- Bias for action
- Alternatively to all of the above, some exceptional professional accomplishment(s) that indicate an ability to perform at the level of someone who has all of the other listed qualifications.